Cheyenne Smith: Coach In Training
CFL1, CF Judges Course
1. What year did you start CrossFit? My parents opened our CrossFit Box in early 2011 so I would do some WODs on the weekends or whenever I didn’t have soccer or volleyball practice. I joined my first Box as a regular attending member in 2015 when we moved to Nashville and the community changed my life!
2. What made you start CrossFit? My aunt and uncle are to blame for my introduction to CrossFit. They came to our family Christmas party one year going on and on about functional fitness and insisting on teaching us how to squat properly: feet shoulder width apart, core tight, push the knees out, you know the rest. It was nothing like the stuff they taught you in P.E. class and it was absolutely groundbreaking to me. Soon I was outperforming all the girls and most of the guys in the pull-up test, and making the older teams in school sports. I realized CrossFit could take my athletic ability to the next level, and being as competitive as I was, that’s all I needed to start getting serious about it.
3. Why did you become a Trainer? I have such a passion for this sport. It has developed my mental and physical capacity in ways I never thought possible, changing my outlook and even goals in life. I am always eager for opportunities to come alongside someone who is learning a new movement or to encourage someone in making a better lifestyle choice because I have experienced the benefits of both; being a CrossFit trainer is the most tangible way for me to do that.
4. What is your favorite CrossFit movement? Those that know me are probably expecting me to say the butterfly pull-up, and while it is one of my favorites, it is second only to the overhead squat. It’s the perfect test of mid-line stability, flexibility and strength, thus proving to be one of the ~many~ hard movements for me when I first started CrossFit because of my weakness in all three of those areas. After years of practice and countless shoulder stretches, the dread turned to excitement whenever they came up in the programming.
5. What is your favorite cheat meal/snack? I have never used self-control and Oreos in the same sentence.
6. What is your ideal favorite workout? I am always down to hit Nancy or a long chipper.
7. What is your favorite superhero and why? Captain America. All. Day. He represents the greatest country in the world and he is always trying to do the right, moral thing even when it’s not the most popular choice.
I am from San Diego, California. I am smack-dab in the middle of the 5 kids my parents so faithfully raised. I have 2 older sisters, 2 younger twin brothers, a dog and too many aunts, uncles, cousins and second cousins to count. Peace and quiet is not in my vocabulary. When I am not a The Box working on gymnastic movements, I work for Hopdoddy Burger Bar's Training Department. I create their training material/videos and enjoy every minute of it. My hobbies require me to be fit and let's be real, having muscles is pretty awesome. CrossFit helps me to do all that while pushing back the nursing home as long as I can.